Photos by Michelle Dorman Photography
Sweater: Brooks Brother (similar) | Blouse: UNIQLO | Cords: Loft (similar) | Necklace: Banana Republic | Ring: Stella & Dot | Earrings: Anthropologie |Boots: Corso Como (similar)| Bag: Foley + Corrina (similar) | Lipstick: Wet n Wild (color Stoplight Red)
This might be my favorite shoot to date. I know I’ve said that before, but our city’s skyline is hard to beat. Although it was overcast and cold, that didn’t take away from the picturesque setting.
I feel most comfortable in a button down shirt and a pull over sweater. I love the preppy aesthetic and fail proof formula. The last time I wore this sweater, it was during the warmer months and didn’t call for any layers. This time around, I added an oxford shirt, navy cords, and tall brown boots. I swapped out the bag, changed up the hair and added some different accessories. I’m a big fan of this necklace. It resembles a classic locket. The bright red lips were an absolute must! I can’t believe I am just now getting hip to wearing red lippies. I feel so sophisticated and polished. If only everything in life was that simple. This look reminds me of the 1970s tragic film Love Story. Have you seen that movie? It is known as one of the most romantic films of all time. The collegiate setting and east coast fashion is perfect.
Prep Style 101
The key to dressing preppy is buying classic and or investment pieces. Think timeless and chic. Before buying a piece, ask yourself: would I wear this in five years? If the answer is no, then put it back.
- Pearls Be sure to pick up a pair of earrings, necklace, bracelet, or any other pearl item.
- Jewelry I would recommend a classic monogram pendant, locket, or both.
- Shirts The classic oxford cloth button down shirt and pussy bow blouse are timeless pieces that can be worn in a variety of ways.
- Sweaters Great investments and fun to style. For extra prep, get a shaggy dog sweater.
- Coats I would go for a classic peacoat, wool toggle coat, and a trench for the warmer months.
- Skirt and dresses Purchase these in neutral colors so they can be easily intermixed with others items in your closet.
- Pants Definitely invest in a couple pairs of tailored pants and some denim.
Where to Shop
I would definitely take advantage of second hand shops and other thrift stores for timeless pieces. Get items dry cleaned or hand wash.
If you prefer to buy new, I would check out:
Want more prep inspirations? Check out the archives.
Shop the Post: