📷’s by Luba Kochubey Portraits
Top: Who What Wear (similar)| Pants: J.Crew On Sale! | Shoes: Josef Seibel | Ring: Stella & Dot | Earrings: Lucia K. Jewelry (use Laceandpearls20 to get 20% off your order)| Necklace: Kendra Scott (via Rocksbox) use code laceandpearlsblogxoxo at checkout to receive your first month free |Purse: Michael Michael Kors (similar) | Lipstick: Wet n Wild (Pretty Persimmon)
I am a big fan of the peplum top! Even though they have the stigma of being costumey and unappealing to men, they can be styled into a modern wardrobe.
It can be challenging to find the perfect fit; many are boxy or voluminous. I recommend choosing one that is slim through the body and going down a size when possible.
This peplum is a bit oversized, but it was the last one and I couldn’t find a smaller size online. I am still happy I got it. If you know me, I am not a fan of black. I only ever wear it in a pant or coat. I made an exception with this piece given the girly style. The eyelets also gave it a more delicate touch.
Traditionally peplums tops are worn with a pencil skirt. With that said, you want to focus on keeping your bottom half looking slim.
Tips for Wearing a Peplum
- Keep it simple. Avoid extra fabric around the hip area if you’re curvy.
- Think streamlined. Wear your peplum top or jacket with skinny jeans or a pant. This look is fail-proof and gives a slim silhouette. A wide leg pant would also look great.
- Wear a heel. To elongate the frame, wear a heel or platform shoe.
- Keep accessories to a minimum. The peplum is your statement piece, so it’s not necessary to pile on the accessories. I did opt for a simple pendant, earrings, and some layering rings.
Choosing the Right Peplum for You
Peplums can have both slimming and voluminous effects. Use these tips to determine the best one for your frame.
- If your middle is on the thicker side, choose a flowy peplum with a little extra fabric. This is my tried and true fashion tip for every top I own (not just the peplum).
- To accentuate your waist, wear a peplum top or jacket that falls above the hips.
- If you’re petite, wear your peplum top with an a-line or full skirt. This look is super cute and will balance out a smaller frame.
- For a slimming effect wear all black and opt for a pencil skirt.
- To avoid looking short, steer clear of long skirts and dresses. Go for a length that falls above the knee.
Shop the Post