It’s been quite a year (personal and professional). My husband and I bought our first home, adopted two kittens, and we both got promoted. In just a few days 2016 will be over and a new year will begin. There is no better time than now to reflect on and discuss 2016. Keep reading for my year in review.
I am not going to focus on what I didn’t do this year but rather what I did do. I encourage you to do the same. Revisit your previous year’s goals and check if they are still relevant. If you didn’t do everything on your list, don’t beat yourself up. There is nothing you can do about it now. Re-evaluate and determine if you will continue to chase the same goals.
Forget New Year’s Resolutions – Do This Instead
This year, I am choosing a word that represents what I want to do rather than a resolution. My individual list will roll up into that one word, allowing me to reach that goal. My word is Healthy. So much in my life right now revolves around getting healthy. If I have my health, I feel that everything else will fall into place. I recommend that you choose a word that will keep you on track throughout the year, revisiting it whenever you feel challenged. For example, when I get the craving to overindulge in snacks during a Netflix marathon, I’ll think of my goal and opt for a healthier alternative like fruit or tea.
Note that my personal goals are the same as the previous two years, but they still rank highest on my list.
A Year in Review
- Up my workout intensity. I currently take daily walks during my lunch break, but I need to focus on breaking a sweat to see results.
- Get 7.5-8 hours of sleep per night. My husband and I have been getting up early between 5:30-6 am. This is helping with my night owl tendencies.
- Lose 15 pounds. I still need to drop some weight for health purposes. Upping my workout, getting a decent night’s rest, and portion control is the plan.
- Pay off debt. Our YNAB (You Need A Budget) is set and ready to break ground. For some actionable budget tips, check out 6 Debt Reduction Tips.
- Receive compensation for posts in addition to the product. One of my goals this past year was to begin working with brands. From January on, I accomplished this. In case you missed any of them, you can see them all here.
- Begin pitching to brands. Brands have reached out to collaborate, but I also want to be pitching to them.
- Increase blog traffic. Three words, Search Engine Optimization (SEO). When I started this blog, I had no clue about optimizing post to their full potential. Mid-year, I began optimizing and now my number one traffic referrer is Google. I want to go back through all posts and elevate them so people can better find them.
- Build an email list. This will help me connect with readers on a more personal level and understand what they struggle with when it comes to personal style.
Top 10 Posts From 2016
- How to Collaborate with Other Bloggers
- Drugstore Volume Mascaras: The Good and the Bad
- 6 Essential Ways to Start Dressing Confidently
- Thrift Store Fashion – A Beginner’s Guide
- Tips For Styling a Peplum Top
- How to Stay Motivated + 2 year Blogiversary
- 8 Tips for Defining Your Personal Style
- How to Avoid Blogger Burnout
- The Ultimate Pattern Mixing Guide
- 5 Tips for Achieving Effortless Style
What does your year in review look like? What will your focus word be? Share in the comments.
Thank you for supporting Lace & Pearls. Happy New Year! See you in 2017.
First image by Luba Kochubey Portraits