Over the years, I enjoy looking back at my style choices. Personal style should evolve as trends and preferences change. But what does it mean when you think you’ve created an entirely different look, only to realize that you wore something similar almost 4 years earlier. Britney Spears’ “Oops!… I Did it Again” comes to mind, but really?!
- Sparkly cream jacket, check!
- Neutral undershirt, check!
- Gray denim/cords, check!
- Unique brooch, check!
Wow! In which year did Asa wear it better? LOL. I hope that “2019 Asa” is a bit more fashion forward than my 2015 self. I do know, however, when I was younger, I was more adventurous with my fashion choices and dare I say it, “trendy.” I would rock a jumpsuit, overalls, culottes, hats, neck scarves — you name it!
“Oops!… I Did it Again” Timeless Fashion Pieces
The other day, I ran errands with my husband and wore this T-shirt from J.Crew, paired with my new favorite lipstick from Beautycounter. I felt preppy, yet laid back when I asked my husband what he thought of my shirt. He said, “Don’t you have something just like this?” “No,” I responded. Which is true, but after thinking more about it, I realized I bought the same shirt four years earlier when I first started blogging. What’s more amazing — the fact that I remembered the outfit or that J.Crew still carries the exact shirt?! And how ironic that I didn’t remember purchasing the shirt until my husband mentioned it?
Repeating Outfits is Awesome
Now, there is nothing wrong with repeating outfits. In fact, I pride myself on wearing my favorites on a weekly basis. I enjoy re-wearing pieces for several years and find I’ll reach for a top or pair of pants year after year. This is somewhat of a rarity in my closet, so when it happens, it’s something to celebrate!
So what lesson can we take from this? Timeless fashion pieces are a must, and investing in quality, potentially higher-end items pays off. Plus, they retain their value and never go out of style. I recommend thrifting certain pieces, such as a trench coat, skirt, or designer shoes.
3 Tips for Shopping for Timeless Fashion Pieces
- Be consistent. If you’re like me, you might think twice before going on a massive shopping spree and buying a bunch of stuff that you wouldn’t typically wear. I’m all for thinking outside of the box and pushing your fashion boundaries, but buying clothes that are not your style will inevitably lead to buyers’ remorse. If you want to try a new trend, buy an inexpensive version. If you end up liking that item, then by all means, invest in the real deal!
- Know what you like. This goes hand in hand with my first tip and will save you time and time again. When I was in college, I wanted to fit in, so I went out and bought sweatshirts and causal-style clothing; I then spent additional money on items I really wanted. Do yourself a favor, and do it right the first time. This doesn’t mean you won’t have regrets — that’s part of the process — but you’ll be further along in your fashion journey than I was.
- Trends repeat themselves, but classics are forever. This is where “investment pieces” come in. It’s ok to spend a little more on items you know will last a lifetime and be relevant for years to come. Take the cable knit sweater for an example — it continues to come back each fall and winter season.
I’ve given this advice before, and I’ll give it again — you can learn a great deal from looking at old photos. It can also be a rude awakening of what not to wear, so brace yourself. There is nothing worse than buying clothes that you’ll never wear or worse, regret buying altogether. I suggest going with the classics, and make sure you’re purchasing items that suit your personal style and are interchangeable with your current wardrobe.
Timeless Shopping List aka Must-Have Items for the Classic Fashionista
- Trench coat
- Riding boots
- Pencil skirt
- A little black dress
- White T-shirt
- Nude, navy, and black pumps or flats
- Several nice handbags, a couple pairs of earrings, and some necklaces
What are your favorite timeless fashion pieces? I invite you to share in the comments.
Shop the Post:
Jacket: Ann Taylor (now on sale!) (similar) c/o | Blouse: J.Crew | Jeans: J.Crew | Brooch: J.Crew (on sale) | Ring: Rebekah J. DesignsPurse: Cuyana c/o | Shoes: Paul Green (similar) | Lipstick: Burberry Bright Plum No.49 c/o
*c/o: courtesy of or gifted
Photography: Nicholas Mercado
[…] via laceandpearlsblog.com […]