In the past few weeks, I have been asked by several people about how bloggers make money. One person was completely shocked to find out that influencers can make a living from blogging! I think it’s important to be aware of the business side of blogging, especially since it has become a part-time or full-time gig for many, so I thought it would be helpful to put together a post informing bloggers and non-bloggers alike on how blogging can be a source of income.
4 Years of Blogging: Learnings and Accomplishments
This blog turned 4 on October 6th and I can hardly believe it! It feels like just yesterday that I was writing this post and reflecting on the previous year.
Year 3 was all about scaling and growth. I feel like I have successfully managed to work on it and still have a long way to go. Each year that I blog, I know more then I did the previous year and am super grateful for all of the opportunities that have come along with it.
What did I learn and what goals do I have planned for 2019? Keep reading to find out!
Juggling a Day Job, Blog, and Jewelry Business
With a 9-5, fashion blog, and newly established jewelry business, I’m often asked how I manage. The truth is…I just make it work, even if that means sacrificing my house (it seriously looks like a cyclone went through it), sleep deprivation, and a neglected husband. These things are terrible, I know, but I want to be completely honest. I’m hoping to correct these bad habits over time and at the top of my list right now is to spend more time with my husband. So important!
4 Blogging Tips For New Bloggers
I was recently featured in the Style Collective newsletter. Not familiar with SC? It’s literally the go-to for all things blogging and I wish it was around when I first started. It would have saved me a lot of blood, sweat, and tears! With SC, I no longer need to hop around to various sources to get what I need since it’s all in one place. The site and the podcast provide a wealth of knowledge for entrepreneurs and influencers and my favorite features include the blog, blog prep kits, and the e-courses and guides! The community element and forum topics are a huge plus too.
For the feature, I was asked to share a bit about myself and add 3 blogging tips for new bloggers. I thought these tips might be of some value to my audience and I’ve added a bonus tip just for Lace & Pearls readers. Enjoy!
3 Year Blogiversary + The Prettiest Tulle Dress
I can’t believe I made it to year three (actual blogiversary is on 10/6)! This time last year I was contemplating giving up the blog. I was definitely feeling like my progress was stagnant, but according to some sources, year three is when things start to happen. This gave me hope and allowed me to quantify my progress: year one is for learning, year two is for putting things in motion, and year three is for scaling and growth.
Celebrating a blogiversary is like gearing up for a new year. It’s that time to reflect and begin thinking of new ideas and goals. My jewelry line is just one example. I wrote about launching it all the way back in January of 2016. At the time, I just had too much going on and knew that if I wanted to really pursue this blogging thing, then the jewelry would have to wait. But how cool is it that I finally made it happen?! Who cares if it took almost two years from when I spoke about it. The point is that I actually did it! Let this be a lesson to anyone who has a dream, it can happen and will, you just have to take the steps to get it done.
- Improved writing. I’ve always felt insecure about my writing. Earlier this year, I went ahead and hired someone to proofread my posts. She primarily looks at grammar and whether things sound awkward, but it’s been life-changing and allowed me to spend less time reworking a post and more time doing the things I love. It’s also helped me become a better writer and recognize patterns. Kristyn has since helped me scale and work on things like gearing up my monthly newsletter and jewelry line.
- Monthly Newsletter. Email lists are so important! In this business, you’re constantly bombarded with growing your list. This is something I’ve had on my to-do for a long time. My hope is to bridge the gap between me and my readers. I want my content to be more relevant to what they’re wanting. The newsletter is a direct way to communicate this to me.
- Work ahead of schedule. At the end of July, I had three months of content planned out and about half of them written. This has truly given me room to breathe and create at my own pace rather than coming up with something every week. Again, I have my good friend Kristyn to thank for that! With her savvy editing skills, I can really get a leg up in my other blogging goals.
- Sponsored content. I’ve finally begun to get sponsored posts! When you’re sponsored by a brand, you are not only gifted product but paid to share about the brand. I am very selective with whom I work with and turned down a lot of opportunities. It has to be a good fit for me and my audience. My photography expenses are pretty spendy, so having sponsored content to cover the cost of photos is something I am working towards.
- Get help. If I’ve learned anything this year is you can’t do it all on your own. Plus, it’s much more fun when you have others to collaborate with and friends who support you in your dreams.
- Make lists. Most nights I find it incredibly hard to shut down and get to bed early. I tend to keep all my to-dos in my head. Making a list and doing a mind dump gets it out on paper and allows me to step away and feel confident when I return.
- Bring in more sponsored content and brand collaborations to cover blogging expenses. I would love to be able to establish some long-term partnerships rather than one-time gigs.
- Connect more with my readers and create content they love. My newsletter will help with this.
- Lace & Pearls Jewelry is an extension of this blog and my love for jewelry. I hope to do some craft shows, sell stuff online, and have my products in several stores by end of 2018.
If you don’t take anything else from today’s post, remember this. Go for your dream, no matter how big or small it is. The worst that can happen is it doesn’t work. On the flip side, it could be a huge success. Don’t go through life wondering what if, instead think I will!
The Prettiest Tulle Dress
For this milestone, I wanted to wear a party dress but still remain true to my personal style. This tulle dress hit the mark and is one that I will definitely wear repeatedly. I like that it can easily be dressed down. I was tempted to pair it with some booties but decided against it.
If you’re a girly-girl like me then definitely grab this dress! I have a feeling it will go fast. Oh, I almost forgot to call out these gorgeous earrings! They’re SugarFix by Bauble Bar. They’re the perfect blush pink and totally my style. The necklace is one of my own designs and will be available soon to shop.
A big thank you to those who have supported my blogging journey! Every comment, visit, and acknowledgment means more than you know. Most of all, hugs and kisses to my sweet mom who is still my biggest cheerleader in every facet of my life. Love you much!
Shop the Post:
Dress: Asos | Jacket: Gap (similar) | Necklace: Lace & Pearls Jewelry | Earrings: Sugarfix by Bauble Bar c/o | Shoes: Josef Seibel | Clutch: Banana Republic (old)
📷’s by Luba Kochubey Portraits