No one can deny that Paris is one of the most romantic places on earth and the fashion there is irresistible. Look at the women who live there and how they put themselves together! They have truly mastered the act of dressing simply and looking chic.
When I threw this look together and gave myself a once over, I thought wow, I look unintentionally Parisian! This got me to thinking about the elements of dressing French aka “channeling my inner French Girl.”
- Wear classic prints (stripes, polka dots or neutrals). When your wardrobe consists of predominantly neutrals it makes getting ready a cinch, especially when the color palette is so versatile. The colors you will most often see worn in France are white, black, tan, blue, and gray.
- Remember less is more. The French girl wardrobe is built on clean silhouettes and classic staples. While they do stay up to date on trends, they may only take one or two ideas from it and incorporate it into their existing wardrobe.
- Ballet flats are a must. Especially when getting around those cobblestone streets! French women like their clothes and shoes to be non-restrictive and comfortable. They will also rock a classic heel and sneakers (non-fashion type).
- Minimal accessories. A simple pearl, bar necklace, or even a locket are classic items that work with any outfit. This adds a special touch to your outfit without taking away from it.
- Look purposely unpolished. Messy topknot or loose waves, winged eyeliner, red lips. All of these things embody the Parisian girl. Keep in mind that looking effortless is more involved than it actually looks especially when creating a “no makeup look.” Don’t beat yourself up if it takes you a while to master.
This silk polka dot dress is one I’ve had for a couple years. It’s pretty perfect and has pockets and a drawstring waist. If I really wanted to add the Parisian touch I might have worn my classic black ballet flats and a swipe of red lipstick.
Mastering the Parisian look is all about keeping it simple and sticking to the classics. It definitely makes getting ready easier when deciding what to wear. French Girls don’t necessarily have a large wardrobe but that doesn’t prevent them from looking polished and fashion forward.
How do you channel your inner Parisian? Share in the comments.
📷’s by Luba Kochubey Portraits